What Floats You?


I want to share a story;

A mother, whos under 10 year old kids were dressed like miniature beach models, came rafting with the company I work for last summer. The mother was very adamant that she was an ex-Olympic swimmer, and that she did not need a life jacket.  Because, she could swim across a river. We gave her and her kids jackets anyway, sized them and took them for a trip. At some point in time, either on the bus or on the raft, the mother had loosened the PFDs on her kids to the point where the PFDs looked like a tangle of padding and straps. The PFDs would have fallen off if the kids ever fell in the water. Luckily they didn't.

The guide they were with, thankfully not me, noticed this and tightened the PFDs. The kids complained about the PFDS being too tight, and the mother got in the face on the guide. This prompted a little dispute between the guide and the mother, finishing with the guide the winner. The mother and her kids stayed for the rest of the trip, and returned to the shop without saying a word.

They didn't leave a tip. (Oh well.)



I shared this for a few reasons.

First. I don't know what causes people to float down a river with out a Life Jacket, but every year I see it. People with a raft, or drift boat, and none of them are wearing a Personal Flotation Device (PFD). Sure, Montana only requires anyone 12 and under to wear a PFD (and to carry the same number of PFDs as people in a boat, even if their above 12. This applies to water craft of certain length.), but when will people figure out that swimming in a river is vastly different to swimming in a pool. The current in a river is very much different to that of a water park's lazy river. The current in a river doesn't care if you are an Olympic swimmer or not. It will take you to places that you do not want to go, and it will hurt. You can trust me on that. 

Secondly. One thing I think people misunderstand about PFDs, is that they work as excellent places to grab. This goes well with pulling someone into a raft/boat: 

Face the swimmer,
Grab the shoulder straps of the swimmer's life jacket, 
Use the inside of the side of the raft/boat to brace your knees,
Using your whole body, and help from the swimmer, pull the swimmer into the boat, (use the bobber effect if you need extra help.)
(This may end with the swimmer on top of you. Don't panic, that's normal)

Now, imagine doing that to someone without a life jacket. This person who also happened to survive swimming through a large rapid, so they're tried and disorientated. Not fun right. Especially to the swimmer, who just survived a large rapid and now has their friends pulling on their arms and legs. There's going to be some dislocations in the future for that swimmer.

Lastly. after my many years of rafting, kayaking, and now canoeing, I've found that the one thing that has kept me warm, has been my PFD. Yup. The simple fact that a few inches of foam on my torso has kept me warm through rather cold times, incredible. I'm not talking just about cold days for summer either, I've rafted through a blizzard in Utah. 16 miles of flat as aboard water, the start of the Green River through Desolation and Gray Canyons. That trip started fine, shorts and t-shirts. But thirty minutes in, the snow came down. I got my rain gear out, and back rowed the entire way to the first camp. My arms were noodles that night. And, the trip got hotter each day afterwards. 

So next time its cold on the river, put a rain/splash top on, and wear your PFD. And, not just on the 'skecthy' parts. Also think of others too. If your a big person, like me, then the more places to grab, the better.


Don't worry, I'll cover how to size and choose a PFD in anther Blog.

Talk to you later,
Yeti


(Montana PFD Laws: http://fwp.mt.gov/recreation/regulations/boating/boatEquipment.html )

Comments

  1. I was on that trip or a similar trip. If not state law, then company law. People who sign up for river trips should follow the company guidelines. They are not there so clients are uncomfortable in PFDs but for their safety.

    I was also around when another raft company flipped a boat ejecting all clients. And pinning the raft in a tree. Those people were carried downstream a long way before getting to shore or getting help.

    PFDs save lives. No question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully agree with you. And, it really does break my heart when I see boaters who are not wearing life jackets.

      Delete

Post a Comment