So You Think You Can Swim Up a River

I don't know how many times a person has told me that they are a good swimmer, and that they can swim in a river. Sure, I believe it. I've swam in lots of rivers, and I'm also a good swimmer too. 


I still wear a life jacket. 

But, to those who seem to think that they are 'superman' and that life jackets are overpriced, uncomfortable, and not needed, sit back and let me run some numbers.

To begin with, 1 gallon of water is equal to 8.34lbs (3.78 kilograms). And, 1 cubic foot can hold around 7.5 gallons of water. Lets put it together.

7.5 x 8.34 = 62.55

That's 62.55lbs! Not much by itself. But, remember that the average backpacker will only load their packs to around 50lbs max. Getting a 50lbs pack thrown at you may not knock you off your feet, but it will hurt. Now imagine what 62.55lbs of water can do to you.

Of course, I don't know of any river that flows at 1cfs (cubic feet per second). In fact, the creek close to my house is curtly flowing at 245cfs (Rock Creek near Red Lodge MT). So, it is pushing around 15,000lbs across it's depth and width. Enough to pin unfortunate boaters to rocks or logs. Pretty strong, for a little creek. 

The main river I work on in the summer is at around 2,200cfs (and still climbing). That is a lot of power. And, this river is not even at it's peak. This river is not even the biggest flowing river around.

Of course, a person in a river is only experiencing a small bit of the river's power. But, it is still enough to take a person into dangerous situations. Situations where you may not come out alive. I've seen and heard too many stories of the river having its way with boaters. I have even experienced it many times. It is not fun. And, I am very glade that I wear a life jacket.

The force of water is not the only thing to think about. Rivers are made up of moving water, water that has not had a chance to warm up very much. Sure, the further the water gets from its source the warmer it gets. But, there are few places where the water will be warm enough for a people to survive unprotected for extended time.

Don't believe me? Than why do divers wear wet suits? Or, why do emergency personal wrap water victims up in towels/blankets? Answer, rivers are cold. Even if I say that they're refreshing.

In many lake related drownings, the victim's body looses heat faster then it can produce heat. This causes the body to abandon the extremities and put energy to the task of keeping the core warm. (Too much of this and the body enters hypothermia). Put simply, and sadly, a person can become to cold to swim and will sink. This can be fixed by the simple act of wearing a life jacket.


Take is as you will, just food for thought.

Talk to you later,
Yeti


Comments