Views from the Yeti's Mom

Hi all! It is the Yeti's Mother! He has invited me to share my perspective on river life. So here you have it.

This summer is shaping up to be a busy river season.  Father Yeti leaves for his first of  three rivers this weekend.  I will bring the cub and join the family to float Desolation Canyon, the third trip, in mid June.  August we are hoping to be on the Main Salmon before school and work picks up.

With basically back to back trips, our home in Laramie becomes a storage/drying locker for gear. The  Nordic Track ski machine becomes a hanging rack for dry suits. Coolers are bleached and stacked in the garage, ready to be loaded for the next adventure.  Our spare bed room is the staging/air dry area for the dishes from the kitchen box.  My house cleaner... (Yes, I have someone who comes in to clean my house.  How else would I have time to play on the river?) She is kind and never comments on the clutter.  OK, she might have said something when I ran a garden hose from outside into the basement restroom and flushed out the contents from one of our groover tanks into the toilet.

Packing and loading for trips is done in the front yard.  Food is piled by coolers and dry boxes. Then like the game Jenga, packed away into said coolers and boxes.  I am sure the neighbors are taking bets on if it will all fit.  It does every time.  Rafts are looked over, gear counted.  Yes, the toilet paper was packed!

 Permits, river maps, rafts, duckies, dry bags, tents, toilets, kitchen stoves, kitchen boxes stocked, hand wash stations, coolers, beer, food, sleeping bags, PFDs, camera, sunscreen.  I have myself described multi day river trips as car camping on steroids.  The adventure starts way before setting eyes on the river.
Yes! It all goes with us!

Thank you Yeti for inviting me to share my much older, shorter and motherly perspective.  Maybe next time I will share about actually being on the river!

P.S.  If you want more of my life perspective.  I do have my own blog.
THE CURRENT IN THE CHAOS
 www.currentinthechaos.blogspot.com





Comments