Dirty Hands, Modifying a Canoe

There is something satisfying about building or fixing things with my own two hands. This can range from a simple oil change on my trusty truck, fixing a troublesome trip meter on my motorcycle, to modifying my canoe with custom minicell foam blocks and braces.

(The pesky broken piece from my motorcycle's trip meter. I had to disassemble the instrument cluster to get to it.)
(A block of 12"x36"x3" minicell foam, and some glue.)

My latest project was extremely satisfying. I have mentioned it in the past, but I've just finished it in the past few days. I am talking about my canoe, if that wasn't too clear. If You read my "Big Person, Small Boat" Blog, then you know that I a not a small person and many boats are rather uncomfortable to me. So to fix this, I have to adjust and modify.

This Process was trial and error by the way, there is no set 'guidelines' or 'how to'. At least none that I found. Every piece of minicell I cut hade to be checked with me sitting in the boat.

 Of course, I smoothed the rough knife cuts down with sanding blocks. Which, is really messy by the way. And did mockup after mockup to make sure I got the desired fit and shape to the blocks. the right fit was a necessity for the ankle blocks, considering I will be putting pressure on some exposed tendons and other pressure points.

(Ankle blocks. Just one test fit of many.)

After the ankle blocks, I debated the empty space around my upper thighs and hips. I took into effect the loss of movement and control from me the boat that the void created. This lead to some hip braces. The problem was where to place them, where would I get the bust contact. After a few test runs, I finally got the blocks placed. 

(This is a mockup, the blocks and braces are hold in with tape.)

The last concern I had, was getting in and out of the boat with the additions. Taking time to get in a boat snugly is fine. Take kayaks of example. When a kayaker gets in their boat, they may adjust their back brace, but they have to work their spray skirt in to place. I say work, because I used to have one that was rather difficult to get into place. Getting out however, I really don't want that to get difficult. Especially, if I capsize.....

The only way to know is if I put it all together.

(The finished product, solid and comfortable.)

I know I won't be able to put my modification through is paces while it's on a hard wood floor. So I'll either wait for spring, or keep my eyes peeled for a pool that allows water craft to use it for practice. 

All in all, this project was fun and educational. I doubt that I'll get a chance to repeat this modification anytime soon, considering there's over a foot of snow out side, and the price of a white water canoe.


Talk to you later,
Yeti 









Comments