Go Prepared

Fun fact: In a medical stand point, anything at least an hour way from definitive medical care is considered wilderness.

Yeah, You read that right. One hour minimum away from any doctor and/or surgeon, not a S.A.R. (Search and Rescue) team or a helicopter.

How many places can you name that are in that category? I can name lots.

Now, name any that are more than an hour away.

Yeah, there are quit a lot. That's why it's important to go prepared. And, not just for yourself. Remember that there are other people out in the wilderness.

I get rather flustered when I see a River Runner with out a PFD (Personal Flotation Device) or without a throw rope in their boat. The PFD is for one wearing it, and the rope has many uses, including rescuing others.

Fun Fact: Most lake drownings happen because the person's mussels lose strength from the cold before they can get to shore, and they die way before hypothermia sets in.

A PFD can prevent this, as they float. Also, they are brightly colored for a reason. And, when properly fitted, they work as good places to grab people. I've lost count of the number of people I've seen on rivers drinking, and not wearing a PFD.

I try to avoid them like the plague. For if a person can not take care of themselves, then how can I trust them to help me when I need it.

Hikers are not obscure either. Too many times I've passed hikers (and families) on the trail, who either only carry a jacket and a water bottle, or carrying nothing at all. Sure, I get it. Some people like to push themselves to the limit, and maybe past their limits. But come on, is it really that hard to take a few more things? If played smartly, most things wont add more then 20lbs. And if you (the reader) are some one who likes to push the limits, would it not be good exercise to add some extra weight while doing whatever you do? I mean, a simple aid kit, a water bottle, some extra cloths, and a communication device aren't that heavy. You could take it one step more and pack supplies for a night in the wild too, just in case. I mean, I do live in bear country.

Sure, I have to throw myself into the pack as well. there have been many times I've not had the things I should have had to adequately fill my role. Primarily, I haven't carried a aid kit with me during the summer. That's not to say I don't have one, because I do. It's more  along the lines of 'I keep forgetting it'.


 I recently took a W.F.A. ( Wilderness First Aid) course, and while its not the highest level of medical training I've received, it's a nice refresher to the world of trying to keep someone alive until help arrives. I did have certificates for a ski patroller at one point in time. The W.F.A. is a fun 19 hour course designed to educate people about the basics of wilderness first aid. It's not for people who have weak stomachs, because both the text book and many of the power point  slides show gore and injuries to the human body. (I'm not showing those here).
I'm not saying that everyone needs to take a First Aid course, but it's nice to know some medical knowledge. For example, there is a new movement in the medical field called 'Stop The Bleed'. Stop The Bleed was put into action because of all the mass shootings and bombings (I don't like talking about this). Many people where dying from blood loss, then the actual bullet or injuries from bombs, so Stop The Bleed was put into place.

The basics are Identify, Pressure, and Pack.

Identify where the bleed is.

Put pressure on the wound.

Pack the wound with sterol dressings and bandages.
(don't forget to wear protective equipment. Gloves and a mask.)

(Disclaimer: I am not a trained instructor in the medical field. While there are laws in place to protect Good Samaritans, seek medical training before doing  anything above your level of training.)

I like having fun out in the wilderness, but I also like being able to return to it.


Talk to you later,
Yeti


Comments