Breaking the Routine, Getting off My Backside

I, like a lot of people, have fallen into a daily routine.

Up at 6am,
Start work at 6:30am,
back home by 8am,
Dishes,
Breakfast,
Find thing to do until I go back to work. (Usually sitting on my backside)

Yeah, exciting.

Joining a SAR (Search and Rescue) team was help me a little. But, with only three meetings a month, and not many people needing  a SAR team (Figures crossed), I still spend more time then I like sitting around.

So, I have incorporated a new evening routine.

20 push-ups
50 crunches
20 leg rises
20 push-ups

Yeah, it might sound like a have a little case of cabin fever. But, there is a point to this.

First, I have found though a few pool sessions in my canoe, I need to strengthen my core mussles. A lot of kayaking, canoeing, and rafting techniques are based around the core mussles. Examples, paddling, rowing, rolling, and bracing. In hard boats, kayaks and canoes, using a slight hip wiggle can help stabilize the boat through a rapid.

Secondly. The SAR team I'm on has a pack test in the spring. This test consist of a timed course while wearing a weighted pack. Yeah, I have to complete 2 miles in under 30 min 30 sec while wearing a 25 pound pack on my back. I can say that its got me a little stressed, considering that my best mile in high school was 12 min 12 sec. That was when I was a swimmer. Luckily, being on this SAR team means that I get free access to the weight room at the local firehouse. I'm trying to work a few hours of weight room into my week as well.

This it for now.

Talk to you later,
Yeti

Comments