River Guiding: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly Part 2

So, the second part of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly series.

In this one, I'm going to talk about the middle ground. The things that don't fit into the ugly, or the good. So let's begin



First, beer cans. Yeah, I know that I've talk about alcohol a lot. But, beer cans are one thing I always shake my head at. More to the point of pulling empties out from between raft tubes. I feel rather unprofessional, when I'm retrieving empty cans, while standing in front of customers on the side on a river.

Most people are good at picking up their trash. But, I can always find a few empties every day.

I don't know what prompts people to leave cans for others to clean up. Personally, I am rather annoyed by it. Also, they starts to stink after a while.



Next, weather. May people know that weather can make or break trips. This is manly due to the fact that there is little to no cover on the river.

Heat is not hard to deal with, as there are spots to jump into the water and cool of. You may also catch a wave in the face. That helps too.

Colder weather can be challenging. I have been through some cold spots. From cold temperatures, to heavy rain falls, and even through a small blizzard. However, most of those were with my family or on a private trip with family and/or friends.

As a river guide, I am always think about my customers. I think about comfort, positions, energy levels, chemistry of the group, and most importantly paddling power. I do this a lot because I know that from a medical standpoint, we are in a wilderness setting. (or at least 1 hour away from definitive medical care).

If cold weather rolls in, I know that many customers will shutdown. They may stop paddling, sit in a ball and shiver. It does not look good, nor feel good for them. Others will still work with you, but they may not overjoyed when a rapid slaps water in their laps.

These responses to cold weather effects the whole group, not just an individual. Because, discomfort can pass from person to person. Forcefully or not.

I've been with many groups who have been through what I just described. Its not fun for anyone.




People who don't listen. I have these people all the time, almost every trip. I swear that most customers will hear something in one ear, then throw it out the other.

A good example of this is our 'Talk'. Or, a short presentation at the start of each tip out lining the trip, basic paddling, basic commands, and how to reenter a raft if you happen to fall out. Within 30 seconds afterwards, someone will call a paddle an oar, Or grab a swimmer by the arms instead of the lifejacket when pulling them back in to the boat.

Not to forget those who deem the guide's importance lower then their own. I really dislike them, seeing how they tend to want to steer the raft into hazardous situations.




Lastly, the days where no one comes, or when an entire trip cancels. Needless to say, it is rather aggravating when the day is warm, there are clear skies, and no shows up to go rafting. Or, when you have all the gear ready, and an entire trip calls at the last moment to cancel.

Yup, thanks, have a great day.

As a guide, I get paid by the trip, or drive, and any tips that I get through out the summer. That being said, I have gone a few days without making any pay. But, I still show up at the shop to deal with equipment, or just because I have no other plans for the day. Days like those can be hot and humid in the shop. But, it is nice to make repairs, and sort gear.



Sigh, I promise not every aspect of river guiding is like this, or the examples from part 1. I am gather my thoughts for the next part. And trust me, there are a lot of this I want to tell you about.

I will catch you in the next part,
Yeti

Comments