River Guiding: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly part 3


The last part of this series, and we're diving into the juicy stuff. The things that any people hang around for, or just fall in love with.



To start thing off, I will always agree with anyone who says that I have the best office in the world. Because I do. Mountain ranges all round, fresh air, water making watery noises, the sound of animals, great bosses and co-workers, and not a bad day. In fact, the thing about my job that I like the most is being outdoors with great views. I have my favorite spots, many of which include the local mountain range. I often find my self camping at such spots. 

                                      (Yes, this is a kayak not a raft. I had fun anyway.)



Next come the happy memories that are made on the river. Sure, some maybe a bit more pain full to me as a guide, but most of the people I guide down a river come back to the shop with smiles on their faces. Some even start planning another outing. Some people come back. And, some make rafting an anual event. I find it nice to see how returning customers have changed, and to see the faces of others who have gone from unsure to having a blast in a few short hours. I mean, it is a great feeling when a water logged 5 year old requests a high-five because the last section of rapids was just that fun.



The people I meet while guiding always surprise me. Sure, there are those whom I would rate not see again (read parts 1 & 2 for those). But generally, I enjoy my few hours with the strangers I meet. I have had people from all over the world. Europe, Asia, South America,  North America, Central America (of course), Africa (I think), Australia, etc. Each person was their own stories and experiences thy share. And, I find it fascinating. Personally, I think that people benefit from those short cultural exchanges. I know that I have.



Lastly, it's work I enjoy. From the physical effort of stacking rafts 5 high on a flat bead trailer, to mental efforts of navigating rivers and talking to people. Being outside with good company, nothing is better then that.






Well that’s that. I hope you enjoyed this short series. I hope to do other series in the future.



Talk to you later,

Yeti

Comments