Ah, Spring Boating...

Ah, spring in Montana. One day the snow melts, and I get my boating groove on. The next, two feet of snow shows up at my door steep.

Oh well, that won't stop me. I'm already in the boating fever.

  (This trip did start rather warm.)

Some family had planed a trip down to Thermopolis Wyoming for some fishing, and to hang out at the hit springs, but the weather had other plans. So with road closures, we had to brain storm a new way of spending time during spring break. So, we went boating on a closer river.

We borrowed a raft and trailer from a friend, and set out. The stretch of river we did was not even half of the mileage of a trip I'll take in the summer, but with lower water levels and a few stops to fish, it too a few hours. Much of which was trying to rock dodge, but bouncing off them instead. The few deeper areas did not provide much relief from the rock, since no where was more the a few feet deep.

I couldn't even completely submerge my paddle blade at most times.

I did have an easier time, compared to the raft. I could fit through tighter spots, and was light enough to haul my boat over obstacles if needed. In the few areas that the river did not play boat pin ball, I practiced offside paddling and entering/exiting eddies. I was also comfortable in my clothing layers with added dry gear.

After some time, I  can to the conclusions that I need a shorter paddle. My 5'6" paddle is just too long.

The raft, even though small, did not far well. The people in it did not look warm. And, those that rowed had a hard time finding a path for the raft.

(All wrapped up during a fishing stop.)

I did want to make a video out of this, but I don't think that you would like watching me bounce off rocks, or sit in eddies waiting for the raft to catch up. So, no this time.

Even if we didn't catch any fish, and the flows where low, and the weather was less then agreeable. I'm still glade we went, even if my fingers hurt by the end.

Anyway here's to hoping for warm weather, and a good season.

Talk to you later,
Yeti



Comments