Morel Hunting on the Stillwater.

Noon Sunday, I arrived at my summer work place in anticipation of a leisurely float trip down the Stillwater with friends. Of course I brought Sam, my dog, along so that he could get a feel of what waited for him in the summer.

After a bit of waiting, my summer boss (Matt) turned up with a raft loaded and ready to go. He brought along his girl friend (Beth) and dog (Max). We spent a bit of time getting some additional gear from the raft shop, then headed to the river access to meet up with the rest to the group. Two more people and another pup. (Tim, Connor, Legend.)

Tim and Legend in Their Aire Mammoth

At some point, I had misread a text. And so, I returned to the shop with Connor to retrieve another raft. It was a quick, easy thing.

We set out down the river with Connor on the oars, because he wanted the practice, and Sam taking in the new sights.

Sam and Connor
I was content to set in the raft. Just being on a river was good enough for me. As for Sam. Well, this was his first trip after all, he was a little unhappy when the first splash hit him. (He also got really cold by the end of the trip.)

Because there was no rush, and the water level was high (2,300cfs+), we stopped at a couple of places to do our best at tracking down some morel mushrooms.

The First Morel That I have Ever Held
I was not good at finding the morels. I don't usually eat mushrooms, and the morels were hard to see to begin with. The odd shape of the fungi blended in well with the surrounding area.  I did find two morels, they seemed to just pop up by my foot. I didn't keep them.

Putting my dismal mushroom hunt behind me, the day was nice. Well it started out nice. As we traveled further down river, the clouds moved back in and the tempter dropped a little bit. I was fine in my river gear, but Sam was drenched by the time we finished with the section of large whitewater. My poor pup sat in my arms shivering for the last half of the trip.

We ended our trip in Columbus Mt, on the Yellowstone River. Flowing at 32,000cfs. The water was high enough that the top of the boat ramp was barley visible.

By the time we made landfall, Sam had dried off considerably. But, he was still shivering. While Tim and I waited for the shuttle crew to return, Sam turn himself into a ball and stayed that way until the shuttle crew can back.

After the rafts were loaded, Sam and I got a lift back to my truck. And, than we returned to the boat shop to help stow the equipment we had used.  We then retired to the family cabin for a mother's day dinner with family.

It was a tiring day for both me and Sam, but both of us profited from it. Sam met some new friends, even rough housing with Legend at one point. And, I got to ease my stress from the concert jungle.

I can't wait for my upcoming Desolation Canyon trip. 5-6 days of good friends and a river. there is no better feeling.

Talk to you later,
Yeti

Comments