Back on the Slopes

I went skiing at the Red Lodge Resort recently, And I had a fun time. This was the first time that I had been skiing in a few years. I may have felt rusty. But, like riding a bike, it all came back.

I arrived at the over full parking lot after 12pm. After a bit of searching, I has lucky enough to spot a vehicle leaving a parking spot on the upper lot. An easy walk from the lodge. I strapped my boots on and set off for the ticket office.

As I joined the lift line, I set myself a time frame. I was going to head back to the truck at 3. That would give me a few good hours to ski. Although, a problem presented itself on the lift ride. My feet hurt. This was a pain that I was aware of, I had been trekking up some snow covered trails with Sam after all. This time however, with the stopping and slowing of the lift, I was contemplating doing one run and returning to the truck.
Headed Up

I completed my first run, stopping several times to try and readjust my feet. By the time a arrived back at a lift line, I decided to make another lap. I did pay for a half day after all. Before getting back on the lift, I unlatched the toe and mid latches on both of my boots. This gave my feet the chance to spread back out. And, considering my feet are in the wide category, this was bliss. Of course, I re-latched everything after I got off the lift. I wanted good control over my ski edges after all.

After a few more laps of unlatching and re-latching, it began to feel like my boots were finally breaking in. They are ski boots though, so they will never be as comfortable as my regular shoes. But, they where fun to wear now. I zipped around, being mindful of the crowds for people around me, and generally having a good time. After a few runs, my thighs started to give the muscles burns of a good workout.


The old ski patrol side of me kick in a few times, watching for crashes, helping younger skiers up, and actually standing uphill of a young skier doing crowd control as the local patrol did their work. It was odd, and exciting to ski without my red vest. Considering in years past, wearing the vest had been a weekend event for me. It was fun to just ski around without the pressure, physical and mental, of the vest.

The worst part of my time skiing, besides my feet, was the flat light the mountain had at the time. I was very much surprised when a easy open run I had been on turned into a steep section full of rough moguls. I wasn't afraid of falling, I have fallen plenty in the past. I just didn't like the lack of ground awareness. A personal pet-peeve.


3pm rolled around, and I headed down. I met up with a few friends as I stepped out of my bindings, and walked the short distance back to the truck. It was a relief to pull my boots off and put my less constricting shoes back on. I even took time to admire the amount of ice that my beard had acquired.

It had been a good couple of hours. I might even find a Saturday or a Sunday when I can take Sam to a day care and spend the day skiing. Maybe a video too if the light is good.

Talk to you later,
Yeti

Comments