Ski and Gear Swap

It's easy to tell when winter was settled on to Red Lodge Montana. A white blanket of snow, people start wearing heavy coats, and the majority of the population converges on the civic center for yearly ski and gear swap.
Waiting in Line a few Moments Before the Doors Opened
I am not joking when I said that the majority of the town showed up. By the time I got inside, it was similar to what the news shows on Black Friday. Skis and snowboards seamed to be selling like hotcakes, and the area were the boots where was transformed into a sea of people either looking for cheap boots, or buying boots for their kids. It was the largest concentration of people I had been with, in for a long time. I don't like being in large groups of people. But, I did a few laps around the swap just to see what kind of cool stuff other people had brought. I wasn't looking to buy. In fact, I had a few items at the swap that I was hoping to sell. Just some things that I didn't use anymore, but maybe someone else could use them.
The swap
It was really cool to see all the gear that was at the swap. Skies, snowboards, clothing, tents/camping gear, helmets, bikes, boots, and even a kayak.
Cool Pyranha Kayak
Even though the swap only lasted 2 hours, a lot of gear exchanged hands. I even managed to sell a couple of the things I brought in. Sam's old PFD, and a really old set of skies that I've had since I was in middle school. I walk away from the swap with around $70. The money was nice, but I was more excited that my old gear went to some one would use it.

The swap is hosted by the B.T.R.A., Beartooth Recreational Trails Association. A great group that came together in 2002, to maintain the Red Lodge Nordic Center. And, to promote non-motorized trails along the Beartooth Front. Most of the people I hang around are either members, or like a lot of other people they spend time on the trails in one fashion or another. Part of the sales from the swap went to the B.T.R.A.
The B.T.R.A. Booth
Hopefully, I'll be able to get out on the tails soon. I do have to get a few more pieces of gear first.

Talk to you later,
Yeti

Comments