Skiing with Dad



Skiing is something that I started spacing myself from back in high school. It’s not that I didn’t like to ski, because I do. It was more do to the fact that during the same time that ski season came to Laramie Wy, it was also high school swim season. After high school, and in collage, I took an O.E.C. class and joined the ranks of the National Ski Patrol. After half a year at the Snowy Range Ski Area, I patrolled a few years at the Sleeping Giant Ski Area (before it became a zip line with a ski area). After the years of behind-the-scenes-drama of Sleeping Giant, I packed my patrol gear up and set my skis away to collect dust.

Now, with the help of Sam, my skis are calling again. And, I am more than happy to answer the call.
The day after Thanksgiving, Dad, Sam, and I pack in to Dad’s truck and headed up to my first stomping grounds. Passed the open plains of the Laramie valley, through the tiny town of Centennial, and up into the lodgepole pines of the Snow Range Mountains, to the place where I first recall the joy of strapping skis to my feet and reaching ‘ludicrous speeds’ as I rushed down the mountain.  

The Plains of Wyoming
The Snowy Range Mountains

When we arrived at the ski area's parking lot, I helped Dad carry radio equipment in to the patrol building. Then while Dad was setting up the radios, I took Sam and set out to explore the parking lot. The wind kept a constant peppering of snow blowing in my face, but I did really care. Sam, who was off leash, was having the best time ever. He would dart around, shoving his head into the snow while investigating a smell. We walked back to the highway for a good before heading back. Dad wasn't done with the radios, so I trimmed my ski's skins in preparation for a trek up the ski hill.
The Snowy Range Ski Area 

After a bit, Dad finished with the radios. And we booted up. While stepping into my bindings for the first time, I forgot to lock the toe pins. As a result, every few paces my boot would disconnect from the binding. This went on until I remembered the lock. It was rather smooth climbing after that. As we climbed, the wind blow snow into or exposed skin. This had a similar feeling to being in a sandstorm, with the added cold to sharpen the effect.

As I Fallowed Dad up a ski run, Sam was having the best snow day ever. He ran through the trees on the side of the ski run, sometimes finding snow so deep he was swimming more then running. He was also being a very good boy, by checking on us and returning when called. This was much to my relief, I really didn't want to use his new shock caller.

Sugar Coated Sam

Dad and I worked our way up the ski run, zig-zagging so that we didn't have to climb up at a steep angle. My up hill stamina was not the best. (still isn't.) So, we made several stops on the way up. (Thanks Dad.) Sam would whine in protest when we stopped. He is a dog that likes to be on the move. About 3/4th the way up, my thighs started burning from the exercise. By the time we stopped to begin our decent, my thighs and feet hurt. The feet were expected, I was wearing new boots after all.

We pealed the skins from our skis and started down hill. This was interesting for me, I was still trying to lift my lock heels. Also, I had to re-remember how to turn. There were lots of  'pizzas' and 'French fries' in my close future. Sam was a little confused when we started to slide down hill. He figured it out quickly and ran behind Dad. Sam even Check on Dad when Dad fell over. I wish I had a picture of that.

By the time we reached the bottom, my muscle memory was starting o return. And, my legs were screaming in pain. It was a pain of a good exercise, but I would have cries if I had to do the whole thing a second time. We return to the patrol building, stripped out of our boots, loaded out gear back into Dad's ruck, and headed back to Laramie. Sam was not ready to leave, he wanted a second run.
Back at the Shack

Sam Wanting Round 2

On the way back, we stopped in Centennial for a food stop at the Beartree Café. The Bear Tree has a delicious hand made green chill pizza, which was ordered for dinner later. Dad and I shared an order of nachos, collected a pizza, than resumed the trip back to Laramie.
Road out of the Snowy Range

The Beartree Café


Pizza Dinner

Even if my legs hurt, and my lungs burned a bit, the day was fun. I still need to break in my boot a lot, and figure out a way to get a waxing station set up in my house. But, Sam and I have many days of skiing ahead of us. Winter is still young after all.

Talk to you later,
Yeti

Comments