2018, The Year of Sam

As cheesy as it may be, I am dedicating 2018 to my little adventure buddy Sam. This is because, I have reached a point in my relationship with him of where I cannot imagine live without him. And, also do to the effect that Sam has had on other aspects of my life.

I know that a lot of people talk about their pets on the internet. And, that can get to be a little much at times. I have purposely done very little publicity of Sam, because I would rather focus on the adventures/travels then use Sam as a way of getting people to view my posts. In spite of that, I am still giving my life of 2018 to Sam.

It has been one heck of a journey from the scared, little, black ball of fluff that I carried out of billings back in May of 2018. To now, where Sam will request attention several times a day. He has enough energy that two walks a day is a bear minimum requirement during the work week. Even then, coming up with ways of burning through his energy can be exhausting for me. I really appreciate that. I mean it. One of the reasons that I began looking for a dog was the way they get you off your butt, and moving around. A little adventure buddy.

One of the best things that Sam has brought me, a way of getting back out into the mountains that I love. I know that I can venture into the mountains whenever I want, but there is something special about taking a adventure buddy with you. That is Sam for me. With him, I have hiked new trails, pushed my limits, and I am slowly reaffirming my passion for the outdoors in winter. An added perk to this is that I can spread my  adventures. As such, I am in the process of finding a different job for the summer. And, hopefully quitting my current job to move to Idaho in favor of a job that allows me to stay closer to my passions. 
The Bear Tooth Pass

Rafting Sam

Summer Camping


My fingers are crossed. I have applied to one place already. And, with a little help from my parents I am editing and revising a cover letter for another company. I still say that I have Sam to thank for this. 

A bit of history on Sam:
Sam was a few months old when a rescue organization found him on the Lame Dear Reservation. I saw an adoption add for him on Facebook one day when I was scrolling through my feed. This was an odd coincidence, because I had been thinking about getting a dog for a while. What was even better, was that he was being fostered in Billings.

After a bit of email sending, I went to the foster to try to get a feel for Sam. But, that went wrong. And around a half an hour later, I walked out of the fosters house with a scared ball of black fluff in my arms. 

It was one of these 'what did I just get myself into' moments. 

And in the months to fallow, Sam has proved that he still has a bit of rez dog left in him. It took a while for him to trust me, longer for him to start trusting anyone else. The worst part was that he did not run away. He would, and sometimes still does, nip at the things he doesn't understand. To cap it all off, Sam is slightly protective, which is understandable. I was extremely happy, during New Years, to see Sam getting along with with the rest of the family. 
Nothing Better than Almond Butter in a Marrow Bone
It has been one bumpy ride with Sam, but his change from scared pup to beginning to trust dog has been worth it. I plan on having many more adventures with Sam.


Talk to you later,
Yeti

Comments