Part Ski, Part Snowshoe, the GlideLite Snow Trekker

I recently had the opportunity to use a set of GlideLites from Black Diamond. And, I had a blast using them!

Now, what are GlideLites? Black Diamond classifies them under their trekking category. And after using them, I agree with this. They work great moving across relatively float, snow covered surfaces. And, they create a semi stable platform while trekking through deep power.

I do think that BD could add a lever, or something similar, to raise the heel of the universal binding when traveling up steeper inclines; like on A.T. bindings. I mean, the GlideLite Snow Trekkers come with a patch of skin already inlaid into the Patented Unicoat base. Which is cool. But, I do wonder if BD was a plain to produce replacements for those who will use the Trekkers a lot.
Inlaid Skins (Photo from Black Dimond Wed Site) 

The thing I really like about the GlideLite Snow Trekkers, is the universal bindings. And, I do mean universal. While I was using them, I was only wearing my hiking boots. Which made the trek extremely comfortable. The bindings themselves consist of a couple of ratchet straps fixed to a plastic plate. The plate has raised edges at the toe and heal to prevent slippage, a lockable sliding base (which could extend passed my 14 size boots), and a hinge near the toe. The hinge provides a limited range of motion. Which is just enough to give easy, comfortable strides. The one down side, is that the bindings are more for adult use. It would be cool to see some sort of add on spacer, or even a smaller binding, for kids.
Bindings (Photo from Black Dimond Wed Site)

I really did have a fun time using them. They made a 1+ mile stretch of snow covered road into an easy stroll. And if I had known about them back in November, then I probable would have bought them and not upgraded my skis.

Black Diamond is currently selling the GlideLite Snow Trekkers in two different sizes, the large 147cm (with or without bindings) and the smaller 127cm. The 147cm comes with metal edges for an added level of security to help navigate steep slops. I used the 147cm. And though I didn't get to anything remarkably steep, the trekkers had an easy time keeping my 6'4" 250lbs body form sinking to far into power.

Check out the links and see for yourself. Tell me what you think.
GlideLite 147

GlideLite 127

Talk to you later.
Yeti

Comments